Bhutan Backpacking Trip
- Verified Host
- Logout's Trusted
- Traveler's Choice
All About It
- 7 Days 6 Nights
- Difficulty - Easy
- For 7+ years
- Best Season - Winter (Nov, Dec, Jan) Spring (Feb, March, April) May October
Bhutan: A blessing and an example for the world.
With scattered dzongs, fortresses and monasteries, all waving flags and thundering bolts of valley's roar, Bhutan or the Dragon Land dazzles with unshakable cultural ethos, sounds of greens, and shades of the Himalayas. Where growth is measured in Gross National Happiness, where landscapes switch dramatically, where spirituality is the basic to lifestyle, where the environment comes first, and where people always smile – for a tourist, it is like finding a home.
“The Land of the Thunder Dragon” – as it is rightly called, Bhutan is a little Himalayan hamlet. And you shall feel the vibes of happiness all around you – as soon as you enter Bhutan. With lofty Himalayan mountains, gusty rivulets crossing the valleys, the aroma of Momos and Datshi in the air, prayer flags, and massive Dzongs – a trip to Bhutan can never fail to mesmerise visitors.
This seven-day Bhutan Backpacking trip through the towns and countryside of Bhutan will let you see the country’s diverse sides, visit the numerous old forts and hike up to one of the highest monasteries in the world. Whether you love photography, want to embark on an exciting new trek or are drawn towards places that boast rich cultural diversity, the beauty of Bhutan is bound to mesmerise you with a perfect blend of scenic landscapes, majestic monasteries, and terrific trek locales.
Know that Indians don’t need a Visa to explore Bhutan. It’s just a travel permit that is required. This is the best budget backpacking trip to Bhutan you can ever wish for, and we promise to unveil the hidden gems of the land for you. If this creates ripples for the traveller in you, check out the itinerary for Bhutan Trip and book your next slot at the earliest.
Note: If you are a group of 5 or more, we offer customised trips on your preferred dates. For more details, contact us!
- Get a chance to explore Paro, Thimphu, Punakha and Phuentsholing.
- Admire the countless heritage spots that make Bhutan famous for its unique culture.
- Start your journey with an entry in Phuentsholing, the second largest town in Bhutan, lying on the southern border of Bhutan.
- Take a sprawl in urban Thimpu.
- Stroll through Thimphu Main Street and the market area.
- Visit several monasteries during the Bhutan Backpacking Trip: Kharbandi Gumpa, Tashichodzong, Tiger’s Nest, Chemi Lakhang, etc.
- Stop over for a photo session at Tanalung Waterfalls.
- Reach Punakha through the Dochula Pass at 3,080 m.
- Head to the most beautiful Dzongs amongst Bhutan’s 21 Dzongs – Punakha Dzong.
- Get a view of the Suspension Bridge and Chimmi Monastery.
- Go on a local sightseeing tour in Paro. Experience a soul-satisfying trek to a rustic monastery perched on the edge of a cliff: Tiger's Nest.
- Explore Simply Bhutan Museum and Buddha Museum.
- Try Bhutanese Cuisine.
- Trek to Tiger Nest monastery.
- Treat your body with a Hot Stone Bath in hotel after Tiger Nest Trek.
Day 1: Bagdogra Pickup, transfer to Phuentsholing and night stay.
Day 2: Traveling from Phuentsholing to Thimphu for a night stay. Visit Tanalung waterfall and Milarepa Lhakhang
Day 3: Thimphu sightseeing. Drive to Punakha in the afternoon.
Day 4: Local Sightseeing in Punakha and Drive to Paro
Day 5: Tiger Nest Monastery Trek and back to Paro for a night stay.
Day 6: Paro Sightseeing and Travel from Paro to Phuentsholing
Day 7: On the final leg of the journey from Phuentsholing to Bagdogra. Drop at Bagdogra Airport.
- This itinerary is a pre-determined fixed schedule for group tours. However, we are able to accommodate custom requests for tours.
- The pricing for the tour will be determined by the season and the number of individuals in the group. Please note that if only two people are in the group, the cost will be higher.
Who should attend?
Distance: 160 km
Driving Time: 04 hrs
Welcome to the Bhutan Backpacking Tour. Embrace yourself; you will experience the best of Bhutan in these seven days. You know, when you leave your home, you might feel a bit uneasy because of a foreign feeling; don't let it stop you. Just sip some water and get going. Since you are coming with us, we will fill all gaps that might occur otherwise. Leave space in your backpack for incredible upcoming memories.
On the first day, we will pick you up at Bagdogra and transfer to Phuentsholing, the second largest town in Bhutan, on the southern border of Bhutan. We think of this town as the gateway to travel to heaven because every traveller stops here to enter this beautiful country. The clean air, greenery and mountain tops are the first glimpses of your travel destination. You will also get acquainted with your fellow travellers on the way.
Know that Indians don’t need any Visa to explore Bhutan; it’s just a travel permit that is required. We begin by completing all immigration formalities and baggage checks.
Later we will check into the stay and spend our night here.
Distance: 180 km
Driving Time: 06 hrs
Post breakfast, we will set off on our journey to Thimphu. We will drive to Kharbandi Gompa. Kharbandi Gumpa, also known as Rinchending Gompa, is approximately 5 km from Phuentsholing town. It is a Buddhist monastery built under the supervision of the late Queen Mother Ashi Phuntsho Choden.
You will also have the chance to see the stunning Tanalung waterfall.
Later, we will journey through magnificent mountains and peaceful countryside views to reach Thimphu, the capital of Bhutan, located about 9000 ft above the sea.
As we arrive in Thimphu, we will check in to the hotel, freshen up after all that travel and prepare for an evening walk.
As evening comes, we stroll through Thimphu’s Main Street and the market area. Walking around the city, you’ll notice that it comprises a mix of modern and ancient traditions, making it unique. We’ll spend the night at Thimphu, eagerly anticipating tomorrow’s adventure.
Hung up from the views of the Himalayas and beautiful Bhutan? Get up, treat yourself with refreshing Bhutan green tea and get ready.
After breakfast, we will go for a local sightseeing tour of Thimphu, including a visit to the Sangaygang Viewpoint, Simply Bhutan, Buddha Point, and Tashichodzong.
Tashichhodzong is a Buddhist monastery and fortress built in the 13th century. It rests on the banks of river Wangchu. It has presently the seat of Bhutanese government officials since 1952.
After taking in all those meditative vibes, it is now time to pump up your knowledge about Bhutan's culture. Visit the Simply Bhutan Museum, dedicated to showcasing the Bhutanese lifestyle and simplicity.
We will continue driving to Punakha through the Dochula Pass. Dochula Pass is at an altitude of 3,080 m. Look out of the window and witness perfect panoramic views of the Himalayan mountain ranges. Dochula Pass holds 108 memorial chortens or stupas.
Later, feast on Bhutanese cuisine for dinner and stay for the night at hotel in Punakha.
Distance: 114 km
Driving Time: 4 hr
We will then head to what is considered to be the most beautiful Dzongs amongst Bhutan’s 21 Dzongs – Punakha Dzong. Dzongs are castles or monasteries in Bhutan. In earlier days, these were used for defensive purposes.
The Punakha Dzong is strategically located at the confluence of the Mo Chu and Pho Chu Rivers and is one of the most majestic structures in Bhutan. In springtime, the lilac-coloured jacaranda trees that encompass the dzong make it a place of true scenic beauty.
We will also visit Suspension Bridge and Chimi Monastery.
Throughout, we will keep in close distance with the Wangchu River – a tributary of the Brahmaputra River, and pass the valley floor through the suburbs and villages of Thimphu to arrive at the river confluence of Thimpu and Paro Rivers: Chuzom. “Chhu” means river, and “zom” means to join, and the Bhutanese consider it as the confluence of the mother and father rivers. The sight of clear blue waters combined with three different styles of stupas or shrines overlooking the river is a satisfying finish to the day.
We will reach Paro in the evening and spend the rest of the night here.
Trek Distance: 11 km
Driving Time: 01 hr
Trek Time: 06 Hours
After breakfast, we will explore sights in Paro and later visit Tiger Nest Monastery: a soul-satisfying trek up to a rustic monastery perched on the edge of a cliff.
The Taktsang Monastery or the Tiger’s Nest, perched majestically on a cliff which is 2,950 m above sea level, defies all engineering logic. It is one of thirteen Tiger's Nest caves in historical Tibet where Padmasambhava practised and taught Vajrayana.
The vehicle will drop you at the parking area & you have to trek on your own to and from Tiger Nest for around 6 Hours. For those who do not want to trek but still want to reach the top are advised to take a pony ride (self-sponsored).
The trail to Tiger's Nest Monastery is a wide trail. It is mostly uphill, but the inclination gently rises. On the way, you will see waving colourful flags and scenery. Midway, stop to fill yourself with the monastery view and snap photos. The trail is relatively flat after the first half, which gives you the necessary breather.
After we are done at the top, we will descend the same way.
Treat your body with a Hot Stone Bath after we return to the stay in the evening.
Later, we will rest with an overnight stay in Paro.
Distance: 180 km
Driving Time: 06 hrs
On this day, we will take it slow. We will set out for a local sightseeing tour in Paro in the morning.
Start with a refreshing drive to Paro Airport.
Apart from being home to the sole international airport in Bhutan, Paro Airport, Paro is a historic town with about 155 temples and monasteries. The airport is surrounded with majestic mountains.
The national museum, Ta Dzong, is also set in Paro. Hence, Paro preserves the rich cultural traditions of the country.
There is sufficient time for a nostalgic ride back to Phuentsholing. It is a long 6-hour ride.
As soon as we reach Phuentsholing, we will rest for the day with a night stay.
Distance: 160 km
Driving Time: 04 hr
Wake up, get ready, and grab some breakfast before we make our way back home. We will go back the same way as we came. In the final leg of the journey, we will take you from Phuentsholing to Bagdogra, where we will drop you off to end the Bhutan backpacking tour.
Here, at Plan the Unplanned, we focus on two aspects of travel: exploring nature and making meaningful connections. You will start as strangers but leave with dewy eyes by the end. We would love to see you again—Check out our other itineraries and ring us soon. It would be a pleasure to see you again. Till then, take care and love life.
Plan The Unplanned
- Verified Host
- Logout's Trusted
- Traveler's Choice
What’s life without adventure? Isn’t the real purpose of life to travel, to experience new places, and witness the sunrise from new mountaintops? This thought is what united Jatin and Tarun over a cup of chai, in spite of being from two unrelated backgrounds (CA and IT). They knew each other since the time Jatin was helping Tarun learn the ways of the wilderness through weekend treks and outings with another traveling group. Their love for traveling and trekking together motivated them to start something of their own. Thus was born “Plan The Unplanned”, where travel goals come true. Under the Companies Act, Plan The Unplanned is incorporated as Unplanned Journeys Private Limited They started their journey on unsteady ground, much like any other company, but they shared an infatuation for travel and adventure with their customers, which amplified their determination, and thus, Plan the Unplanned family keeps getting bigger every day! Just about any travel idea can come alive with Plan The Unplanned…treks, adventure activities like rock climbing, kayaking, rafting, backpacking trips across the country, cultural outings, photo walks; everything that fellow travelers need, to explore the great outdoors together. Well now that the wanderlust has kicked in and you can already see a vacation in your nearest future, here’s what we have to offer!
- To and fro travel in Bhutan
- To and fro pick up and drop from Bagdogra
- Meals - Dinner on Day 1, Day 2-6 Breakfast and Dinner, Day 7 - 1 Breakfast
- Accommodation in a Hotel on a 2 or 3 sharing Basis ( 1 night - Phuentsholing, Punakha. 2 Nights - Thimphu & Paro )
- Guide Charges - Rs 1500/day
- Bhutan Sustainable Development fees - Rs 1200/day
- Travel Insurance
- Tour Leader from Plan The Unplanned ( If the group size is a minimum of 10 pax )
- Trekking fee for Hike to Tiger's Nest
- Any meals not included above
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Any kind of insurance (health, medical, life accidental, etc )
- Anything not included above
- Any Entry Fees to monasteries, monuments/ museums
- 5% GST, 5% TCS
- Any fee for adventure activities
- Any additional expenses arising out of unforeseen circumstances like cancellation/roadblocks/landslides/ strike or any other natural causes out of human control or any emergency evacuation expenses.
THINGS TO CARRY
We request you to kindly carry the following. It’s better to be prepared rather than not prepared.
- A Rucksack to stuff your clothes and all the necessities
- Passport and Passport size photos ( Validity of 6 months )
- Tupperware Water bottle, avoid the use of plastic disposable water bottle
- A small daypack to carry your trek essentials
- Hiking shoes and Floaters
- Warm Layers, socks, gloves, woolen caps, thermals
- Undergarments as required
- Sunscreen, Suncap, and Sunglasses
- Toiletry kit
- Medical kit with your basic medicines
- Dry bags to stuff used clothes or wet clothes
- Biodegradable waste bags to not litter around
- Snacks, dry fruits
HOW TO REACH
Policy and Terms
Here’s the cancellation policy for Himalayan Treks/Backpacking Trips/Road Trips
- If you cancel before 30 days – 90% of amount will be refunded
- If you cancel between 20 -30 days – 75% % of amount will be refunded
- If you cancel between 15-19 days – 50% will be refunded
- If you cancel between 7-14 days – 25 % amount will be refunded
- If you cancel between 0- 7 days before the departure date – No amount would be refunded.
Note: For All The Above Refund Cases Transaction Fees/Internet Handling Charges will be dedcuted from the overall amount and balance amount shall be refunded. You can transfer your ticket to anyone so that you could save your hard earned money
For other trips and travels with us, and detailed terms and conditions check the following link https://www.plantheunplanned.com/refund-cancellation-policy
Terms and Conditions