What's This About?
Plan The Unplanned brings to you Brahmatal Trek of the finest Himalayan Winter treks out there suitable for those looking to attempt their first Himalayan trek as well as the more experienced trekkers looking for a quick Himalayan getaway.
Winters being extreme in the Himalayas makes it difficult to access the higher reaches of it during the peak winter months starting from November-December to the end of March. During this time, Himalayas receive a lot of snowfall which makes a lot of treks inaccessible. It is the same very reason which makes Brahmatal Trek a unique affair as this is among those rare treks nestled in the Garhwal Himalayas during that period wherein the trekkers can tread through snow and indulge in a magical experience.
This trek offers varied experiences as we walk through the dense Oak and Rhododendron forest for the most part of the trek but the trek also offers the trekkers with an opportunity to walk on snow-covered meadows along with camping next to Bekal Tal. The surroundings of the high altitude Brahmatal lake is serene and on a clear day, one can see the perfect reflection of mountains in it.
The trek also offers majestic views of Mt. Nandagunti and Mt. Trishul from the highest point on the trek and a panoramic view of other Himalayan peaks. Add to the fact that this is a fairly easy trail with most parts of the trek in the treeline in a gradual ascend which makes it accessible for beginners by reducing the chances of altitude sickness and you can select this to be your first adventure in the Himalayas. Two beautiful lakes, thick Oak and Rhododendron forest, and majestic mountain views from the top is a recipe to make it a perfect winter trek in Garhwal Himalayas.
Trek Type: High Altitude Trekking
Trek Grade: Easy – Moderate ( Difficulty Level is subjective )
Trek Altitude: 12,200 ft
Trek Distance: 25 km ( Average 5 km/day )
Trek Duration: 5 Nights/6 Days ( Kathgodam – Kathgodam )
Trek Region: Garhwal Himalayas, Uttarakhand
Trek Start Point: Lohajung
Transportation (Dehradun to Dehradun)
Food: Day-1 Dinner to Day-6 Breakfast.
Accommodation: Four Nights Camping during the trek on Sharing Basis
Tents, Mattresses, and Sleeping Bags
Toilet Tents – Dry Pit Style
Kitchen Tent, Equipment & All Rations
Assistant Trek Leader / Local Guide
Porters / Mules (for Equipment)
Mountaineering Course Qualified Trek Leader
Local Support Team for Geographical Intelligence
Crampons / Micro-spikes to the Trekkers (if Required)
First-Aid Medical Kit with the Team
Any meals not included above
Any kind of personal expenses
Trekking equipment like trekking bag, shoe, trekking pole etc
Any kind of insurance (health, medical, life accidental,etc )
Anything not included above
Any additional expenses arising out of unforeseen circumstances like cancellation/roadblocks/landslides/ strike or any other natural causes out of human control or any emergency evacuation expenses.
What we will do?
Day 1: Drive from Dehradun and Arrival at Lohajung
Day 2: Lohajung to Bekaltal (9,700 ft, 6 kms)
Day 3: Bekaltal to Brahmatal (10,500 ft, 7 kms)
Day 4: Brahmatal to Tilbudi via Brahmatal Pass (12,200 ft) – Tilbudi (11250 ft, 7 kms)
Day 5: Tilbudi to Lohajung via Wan Village (8000 ft) – Lohajung ( 7650 ft, 3.5 kms trek & 1 hr drive)
Day 6: Lohajung to Dehradun
Things To Carry
- Trekking shoes: Carry waterproof trekking shoes with good grip and ankle support. Do not carry sports shoes.
- Three layers of warm clothes: Carry two or three-layer jackets, fleece jackets and a padded jacket.
- Two/Three trek pants: Carry light cotton trek pants. Denim/jeans and shorts are not suitable for trekking.
- Three t-shirts (collared/dry-fit): Full sleeved t-shirts that prevent sunburns on the neck and arms. Carry one or two dry-fit t-shirts.
- Thermals: Carry thermals (top and bottom).
- Sunglasses: Sunglasses are mandatory. There will be a lot of snow on the trek and can cause snow blindness.
- Cap: At high altitude, the sun is extra harsh so carry a cap to protect yourself.
- Waterproof hand gloves: Carry waterproof gloves and avoid woollen gloves as they will get wet if you touch snow.
- Socks (3-4 pairs) and a pair of woollen socks: Apart from two sports socks, you can take a pair of woollen socks for the night.
- Headlamp/LED torch: Mandatory
- Raincoat/Ponchos: At high altitudes, snowfall and rain are quite common and it’s mandatory to carry a poncho so that you don’t get wet. The trek will continue as planned even during rainfall. Your poncho should protect you from the rain. Carry a backpack cover for extra protection from rain for your belongings.
- Documents – ID (Driver’s License, AADHAR Card, Voter ID:: Passport and Visa copy for Foreign Nationals)
- Day Pack ( Small Bag of 10 litres to carry necessary stuff for the day )
Usually, we take a maximum of 12 - 15 people in one group. We believe bigger groups have less fun and less coordination so that’s why we prefer smaller groups.
We need at least 6 people to operate our fixed departure tours/treks.
2. I am the only girl in the group, is it safe to travel/trek solo?
Yes definitely it is, the safety of girls is most important for us. All our guides and other staff are carefully chosen for trips/treks. They are honest and reliable but we also advise you to take care of your personal belongings.
3. What are the washroom/toilet facilities like on the trek?
During the treks, separate toilet tents will be set up on each campsite.
We provide nutritious and healthy food during the treks. We always serve Indian vegetarian food and eggs.
Here’s the cancellation policy for Himalayan Treks/Backpacking Trips/Road Trips
- If you cancel before 30 days – 90% of amount will be refunded
- If you cancel between 20 -30 days – 75% % of amount will be refunded
- If you cancel between 15-19 days – 50% will be refunded
- If you cancel between 7-14 days – 25 % amount will be refunded
- If you cancel between 0- 7 days before the departure date – No amount would be refunded.
About Your Hosts
Plan The Unplanned
What’s life without adventure? Isn’t the real purpose of life to travel, to experience new places, and witness the sunrise from new mountaintops?
This thought is what united Jatin and Tarun over a cup of chai, in spite of being from two unrelated backgrounds (CA and IT). They knew each other since the time Jatin was helping Tarun learn the ways of the wilderness through weekend treks and outings with another traveling group. Their love for traveling and trekking together motivated them to start something of their own. Thus was born “Plan The Unplanned”, where travel goals come true. Under the Companies Act, Plan The Unplanned is incorporated as Unplanned Journeys Private Limited
They started their journey on unsteady ground, much like any other company, but they shared an infatuation for travel and adventure with their customers, which amplified their determination, and thus, Plan the Unplanned family keeps getting bigger every day!
Just about any travel idea can come alive with Plan The Unplanned…treks, adventure activities like rock climbing, kayaking, rafting, backpacking trips across the country, cultural outings, photo walks; everything that fellow travelers need, to explore the great outdoors together.
Well now that the wanderlust has kicked in and you can already see a vacation in your nearest future, here’s what we have to offer!
Book an upcoming batch
[[selectedBatch.startdate|date]] to [[selectedBatch.enddate|date]][[selectedBatch.starttime|date:'shortTime']] to [[selectedBatch.endtime|date:'shortTime']]
[[price.attribute]] : [[price.price | number:0]] /- per person
[[price.attribute]] : [[price.price | number:0]] /- per person
[[selectedBatch.price | number:0]]/- per person
[[instance.price | number:0]]/- per person
Got Questions ?
Been Here, Post A Review:
More From Plan The Unplanned
[[ event.name ]] (Soldout)
[[price.price | number:0]]/- [[event.duration ? " | "+event.duration:""]]
[[event.price | number:0]]/- [[event.price_striked]][[event.duration ? " | "+event.duration:""]]
Free [[event.duration ? " | "+event.duration:""]]
[[ batch.startdate|date]] [[batch.soldout ? ' (Soldout)':'']] , Available Seats: [[ batch.batch_size-batch.numberofbookings-batch.numberofbookings_from_host ]] No Upcoming Batches Show All