KEDARKANTHA TREK: THE ZENITH MOUNT
- Verified Host
- Logout's Trusted
- Traveler's Choice
All About It
- 5 Days 4 Nights
- 50 Slots
- Difficulty - Moderate
- For 18+ years
- Best Season - Winter (Nov, Dec, Jan) Spring (Feb, March, April)
Located in the Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand which contains the source of both the Ganges from Gangotri and Yamuna from Yamunotri rivers, is the Govind Pashu Vihar National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary. Within the park lies the beautiful Kedarkantha. Nestled comfortably in the higher reaches of Garhwal Himalayas this moderate trek not only attracts seasoned trekkers but beginners as well.
The trek is an amalgamation of everything a traveler would want. It has beautiful, dense-immersive forests, gorgeous clearings, rich flora and fauna, trails, striking campsites and not to forget the oh so beautiful sunsets.
The climb to the peak of Kedarkantha starts from a small quaint parish called as Sankri. It’s astonishing to eyewitness 13 peaks of the Himalayan range from the Kedarkantha peak. Moreover, there is a lake called Juda-ka-talab, as per the local folklore, once upon a time Lord Shiva meditated at Kedarkantha. Its name implies so from the droplet fallen from Shiva's Hair to form this lake named as Juda-ka-talab.
12 kms into the trek and attaining a height of 12500 ft above sea level, what one sees is one of the most enthralling and mesmerizing pictorial view of Mighty Himalayas – covered in snow. The Kedarkantha trek has gained its recognition owing to the snow that is spread over the region up until the month of April. One of the highlights of the trek is also the pristine view of Swargarohini and Bandarpoonch. Kedarkantha trek is one of the few treks in the Indian Himalayas where you can trek for most part of the year. Kedarkantha trek is accessible for almost 10 months of the year except July and August (heavy monsoons).
- Height of 3,800 m (12,500 feet)
- Located in Govind Wildlife Sanctuary National Park
- Views of Swargarohini Peak -I. II.III (6300 meters), Black Peak (6387 meters), Bandarpunch Peak (6300 meters) and all the mountains are seen from here like Rupin pass range, Supin range, Khimloga Peak, Baraadsar Lake range, Vishkhopri range, Ranglana Peak 5800 meters, etc.
- From here, the view of all the treks is easily visible from Har Ki Dun Valley and Ruinsara Valley Bali Pass, Borasu Pass, Sarutal, Fachu Kandi Pass Trek. You can view all the treks from a single trek.
Who should attend?
One of the most popular trek of all time, Kedarkantha Trek is a delight, both for seasoned trekkers as well as amateurs. With its feet touching the beautiful and rustic village of Sankri, about 7 hours away from Dehradun, Kedarkantha sits firmly at a height of 12,500 feet. Despite its (staggering) height, the trail is a fairly easy one and can be accomplished even by beginners.
The trek would begin from Sankri which is a 7-8 hours drive from Dehradun. The drive, even though a long one, is rather an exquisite scenic drive. You see beautiful valleys, cute villages and forest cover throughout the journey with tons of river also gently flowing. The altitude that one gains is 6,400 feet. Upon arriving you would be checked into the homestay where you will be staying for the night. You are most likely to be arriving late in the afternoon hence you would have the evening to yourself wherein if not too tired you can explore the beautiful village of Sankri. Later, a briefing session will be conducted before you retire for the night post a hearty dinner.
(Breakfast , Lunch , Snacks & Dinner)
As the morning unfolds, gear up for the first day of the trek. Post breakfast at around 8 am, you will start the trek. With energy full power! You are now ready to kick start the trek. This trek would take you to the pristine Juda Ka Talab, which is a high altitude lake. Mythology states that this is where Lord Shiva had once opened a small lock of his hair and water dripped from his hair forming this huge lake. You will hike through gorgeous dense oak and pine forests covered with a gentle layer of snow during winters, coming across a couple of shepherd huts and then gradually climb to the campsite located here. Settled amidst the forests, the campsite perched at an elevation of approx. 2786 mts above sea level is surrounded with pine and oak trees, with a stunning view of snow-laden peaks as you settle in for the day. Being located in the Govind Pashu Vihar National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary, the trek is a blessing. The evening would be packed with some relaxation time followed by a scrumptious dinner.
Juda ka Talaab
(Breakfast , Lunch , Snacks & Dinner)
Up uppity up! We get up early in the morning to see the golden glow of snow-clad peaks. Post breakfast, the trek starts to the Kedarkantha Peak Base Camp which takes around 5 hrs to reach. The trek again begins through dense forests of pine and oak trees only and through the steep ridge just before reaching the Kedarkantha Base, which showcases the fascinating views of an arc-shaped range of snow clapped mountains. The heady scent of nature will completely revive you from the steep climb adding to that a delicious hot lunch. You would have time to explore the surroundings, click away those insta worthy pictures to your heart’s desire! At night, the snow-clad mountain peaks shine bright as the moon, and you will clearly see Kedarkantha from your campsite. Rest well through the night, because tomorrow is the most awaited day of the trek!
Golden Lights View
(Breakfast , Lunch ,Snacks & Dinner)
Today you make the final push towards the summit. Post a very light breakfast early morning around 2-3 am we begin the trek, making our way through an enchanting meadow trail as we attempt to catch the sunrise from the summit. The route goes on the ridge of the mountain and it gets very steep at multiple points. Climb in a zigzag way in such places. A 360 degree panoramic view of the snow capped peaks of Garhwal Himalayan Ranges would greet you from the summit. After spending some time on the summit, retrace your way to the Kedarkantha Base camp for a brunch. Post which we then head to our Hargaon Campsite. Later, with a lip smacking dinner in your belly, tuck yourself in your cozy camps, underneath the blanket of a billion stars.
Stay Not Applicable
This day brings an end to this 4 day Himalayan adventure. We would start early in the morning, post breakfast since the journey involves trek and travel. This morning you will begin to trek down towards Sankri. Start your day with a healthy breakfast and trek down back on a well-marked trail. The trail is beautifully laid on the gentle slopes between oak, maple and pine forests. The descent is steep on some stretches so you will need to stay cautious. Arrive in Sankri and thereafter board your vehicle, making your way back to Dehradun with your heart and soul filled with memories of this great Himalayan adventure!
The Village View
- Verified Host
- Logout's Trusted
- Traveler's Choice
We are excited to introduce our organisation TravelMite Outdoors (TravelMite), which is specialised in organising experience based Treks and Accommodation to Uttarakhand in India. We have been in the Industry for the past 4 years and our operations have been thoroughly vetted, audited and endorsed on the parameters of sustainability and excellence in operations, services and customer care. You can thus be assured that we have pledged to uphold and maintain the highest standards on the above criteria. We have had the opportunity to make over 7000+ guests experience what true adventure is. We offer multiple touch points to add value to our customer’s experience.Our dedication to creating outstanding travel experiences has allowed us to build quite a fan base. The organisation and the team truly believe in providing individuals with a memorable adventure, which can be backed by our social media reviews/testimonials – Facebook, Google Review
Need Help? Directly Contact Host
- Dehradun to Dehradun transfers via Tempo/Traveller/Ertiga/Sumo/Bolero/Swift Dzire/ or Similar.
- Qualified & experienced trek Leader.
- Guide And Support staff to help trekkers
- All Meals from Sankri to Sankri (3 Snacks, 4 Breakfast, 3 Lunches, 4 Dinner)
- Trekking Permits/Forest Fees.
- Hot Water for Drinking only (Provided during Breakfast/Dinner, First Aid & Medical kit.
- Trekking equipment (Tents, Sleeping bags, Gaiters, Microspikes, etc.), if required.
- Tented accommodation on a triple/quad sharing basis
- Any additional expenses such as of personal nature/medical exigency.
- Additional accommodation/food costs incurred due to any delayed travel.
- Any lunch and other meals not mentioned in Package Inclusions.
- Any Airfare/Rail fare other than what is mentioned in “Inclusions” or any type of transportation from which is outside the itinerary.
- Additional Costs due to Flight Cancellations, Landslides, Roadblocks, heavy snow fall and other natural calamities.
- Any other services not specified above in inclusions.
- Porters/Mules for personal luggage.
- In case there is a road blockage due to heavy snowfall, the tempo traveler/car might not be able to travel further. In those cases, 4X4 would need to be booked thereon. That would be chargeable and the cost would be split and paid by the guests.
THINGS TO CARRY
- A rucksack bag and a day pack
- 3-litre water bladder or water bottle
- A sun cap and a woollen cap
- UV protected sunglasses
- One cotton long sleeves and 2 short sleeve t-shirt
- 1 fleece jacket
- 1 heavy Thick jacket/down jacket
- 1 pair of gloves
- At least 2 long pants (trek pants and cargo pants are favourable)
- 4 sets of undergarments
- 2 pairs of socks
- A small towel
- A rain jacket or a poncho
- Above-the-ankle waterproof and breathable hiking boots with good grip.
- Glucose powder
- Medicines for headaches, diarrhoea, motion, and altitude sickness
- Dettol, Bandages & Cotton
- Toothpaste, toothbrush
- Paper soap, or sanitiser
- Sunscreen minimum of spf40, lip balm, cold creams
- Body spray
- LED torchlight
- Authentic Government ID Card
- Comfortable warm clothing like woollen socks, cap, fleece jackets or warmers, down jacket, toiletries.
- Sunscreen & lip balm, Good U/V protection sunglasses
- Personal Medicines (if any) & few medicines for altitude sickness (a must)
- Power Banks
Dehradun Railway Station
HOW TO REACH
By train: The nearest railway station is at Dehradun railway station. Your trekking experience to the valley starts from here.
By road: The travelling distance between Delhi and Dehradun railway station by road is approximately 253 km. AC buses are available from Delhi to Dehradun. From station we will pick you up for your entralling journey ahead.
By air: From Indira Gandhi Delhi International airport, flights operate to Jolly Grant commercial airport in Dehradun at frequent intervals. From the airport, you can hire a cab to reach Dehradun railway station. Your trekking experience to the valley starts from here.
Policy and Terms
- We understand that plans change sometimes. If you need to cancel/reduce/amend a guaranteed reservation, please do so latest by 12 noon, 30 days prior to arrival, to avoid cancellation charges. 100% non-refundable should there be any cancellation within 30 days of arrival. Booking amount is non refundable.
- For all bookings, if the guest doesn’t show up/leave the trek/trip mid-way the complete booking will be non-refundable.
- There would be no refund provided in case of any issue arising due to government orders, harsh weather conditions, protests, landslides, or any other unforeseen circumstances. Any changes which require additional charges would need to be borne by the guests.
- If a trip is canceled at the last moment due to a natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rain, snowfall, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh, medical, heavy traffic etc.) then the guest would be provided with a travel voucher for the same amount that can be used within 365 days of the issuance date for any package worth the same amount. (Subject to availability). There will be no refund.
- If a stay has to be aborted midway due to a natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rain, snowfall, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh, medical, heavy traffic etc.). In that case, no refund would be provided.
- Travelmite will not bear any extra expense due to any natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rain, snowfall, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh, arranging transportation, medical emergency etc.).
Terms and Conditions
- In keeping with Government regulations, we request all guests (on single/double/triple occupancy) to carry a photo identity to present on check-in. Foreign nationals are required to present their valid passport and visa. Indian nationals can present any government issued photo identity address proof card e.g. driving license, passport, Aadhar card or voter’s ID card. PAN Card will not be accepted as the above. Also do keep handy proof of corporate affiliations, if you have made a corporate booking.
- The Government of India has introduced a ‘no smoking’ rule for hotels, restaurants and all public places. This means smoking is prohibited in all parts of the campsite except in designated areas.
- 50% payment at the time of Confirmation. Balance payment upon Boarding.
- Please note that the room/s and the rate will be confirmed subject to availability, at the time of receipt of the advance deposit details.
- Our check-in time is 2 pm and our check-out time is 10 am.
- Check-in Early/Late, or sleep in and check-out late, we will be happy to oblige however is subject to availability. Both may entail a nominal additional charge.
- If the behaviour of any guest is likely to cause distress or harm to them or others, our member of staff or other team members, our on ground Guide/Staff reserve the right to terminate their tour at any time and they will have to make their own arrangements; we will not be liable for any expenses incurred as a result. We will not entertain any claims arising in case such actions are taken by our staff.
- The guests are responsible for their belongings. For any loss/damage Travelmite/third party will not be held responsible.
- Since we do cater treks i.e Kedarkantha, The WAIVER OF LIABILITY, RELEASE OF LIABILITY, and ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT form needs to be duly signed by each guest before the commencement of any trip.
Why is the Kedarkantha Trek so renowned?
Kedarkantha is known as the best winter trek of Uttarakhand. Trek is also famous for a 360 degree views of snow capped Himalayas from the summit.
The trek of Kedarkanth is simply amazing and easy to cover. In winters, people also do skiing on the slopes of Kedarkantha.
What location is Kedarkantha Trek located in?
Kedarkantha trek is situated in Uttarkashi District of Uttarakhand. It lies under western Garhwal range of Himalayas.
How far is the Kedarkantha trek?
The trekking distance of Kedarkanth is 10 km for one side.
What time of year is ideal for the Kedarkantha Trek?
Although, most of the trekkers choose winters (Dec - Jan) to do Kedarkantha trek because it receives a very good amount of snowfall in winters but Kedarkantha is also a good trek for summers. Trek is easy so its totally depends on you which weather you like most. Summers offers a beautiful colorful views of nature on the other hand winters turns the valley into a white blanket of snow.
What is the difficulty level of Kedarkantha Trek?
The difficulty level of Kedarkantha trek is easy.
What level of fitness is needed for the Kedarkantha Trek?
About the trek: The trail is fairly laid out path and has very few steep ascends or descends. Water is available through out the trail. Its always better to prepare for any trek, so that you can enjoy the trail to the fullest.
What is the current condition of Kedarkantha trek?
Current condition of Kedarkantha trek is quite good. Weather is pleasant & route of the trek is also easy to walk.
Is there any chances of snowfall in summers in Kedarkantha trek?
No, not really.
Can I take my child along on this trek? What is the age limit?
Yes you can. The minimum age limit for child is 9 - 10 years if you want to do this trek with them.
How much temperature falls at night in Kedarkantha trek?
It varies season to season but temperature remains freezing at night. In the winters mercury could falls to -10 degree and in summers 2 to 3 degree.
How can I prepare myself for Kedarkantha trek?
Go for running in the morning daily, it will increase your stamina and will helps during the trek. Eat healthy and less oily food. Buy good trekking shoes and use or test them before bringing them to trek.
Is this Kedarkantha trek is good for Old people whose age is above
Yes if your are fit cause Kedarkantha trek comes under easy treks and you know age is just a number.
Which mobile network service works best in Kedarkantha?
Kedarkantha is a secluded place so most of the mobile networks do not work here but you can carry a sim of BSNL because in base camp and near by places it works good.
What is the room sharing basis?
Our rooms are on double, triple, and quad sharing basis. (Offers are subject to availability.)
Can you customize a trip?
YES, If you want us to design a customized itinerary for you and your family/friends, reach out to us at [email protected] or Call us at 8010000205.
More From TravelMite
[[ event.name ]]
From [[price.price | number:0]]/ per person
From [[event.price | number:0]]/ per person
[[ batch.startdate|date]] [[batch.soldout ? ' (Soldout)':'']]