- Verified Host
- Logout's Trusted
- Traveler's Choice
All About It
- 7 Days 6 Nights
- For 10+ years
- Best Season - Winter (Nov, Dec, Jan) Spring (Feb, March, April)
Detaching Assam from Bangladesh, hilly Meghalaya serves as an "abode of the clouds". As life emanates here, the state babbles through its waterfalls, dense tropical evergreen forest, creaking bamboo forests, silent caves and endemic species. Khasi, Jaintia and Garo tribes and hospitable, cheerful and friendly locals subtly mark a signature on Meghalaya, making a statement of earth's healing culture.
Drooling from the countryside to stark cities, dancing to the rhythms of pouring rainfall, and trekking and boating our way through the offbeat, we will draw a map of fresh Meghalaya. This Indian North Eastern state receives most precipitation from July to September, providing vistas of heavy waterfalls and classic seasons throughout the year.
Introducing this Meghalaya Offbeat tour for travellers looking for verdant mountains, the cleanest rivers, unbelievable landscapes, root bridges, homely rainforests for endemic species and pitch-dark caves, and a blessing of exploring the inner parts of Meghalaya. Meghalaya Offbeat tour with Plan the Unplanned will pass through many offbeat places.
Here is a short map.
Guwahati -> Shillong -> Cherrapunji -> Tyrna -> Nongriat -> Cherrapunji -> Mawphanlur -> Emangre -> Tolegre -> Guwahati
We invite you to come with us on this odyssey of driving, hiking, camping, exploring, living and loving. Read the complete itinerary of the Meghalaya Offbeat Tour for a comprehensive plan and book your tickets at the earliest.
- Become a spectator of the beauty of Umiam lake, created by damming the Umiam river.
- Enjoy a night's stay in Shillong.
- Visit Cherrapunji – known for its living root bridges.
- Travel to Tyrna for a beautiful Double decker root bridge trek.
- Continue trekking to Rainbow falls.
- Take a foot massage at the natural pool near the Double Decker living root bridge.
- Witness the fourth-highest waterfall in the world – Nohkalikai falls.
- Head to Meghalaya's mysterious Mawsmai Caves, formed out of limestone.
- Visit Wei Sawdong falls, holding turquoise blue water.
- Drive to Mawphanlur, a tiny hamlet secured in the Khasi hills of Meghalaya.
- Spend a night in offbeat Emangre.
- Trek to sacred Wari Chora.
- Find out the secrets of paradisiacal Wari Chora while boating.
- Finish your trip, surrendering to Jadisil fish Sanctuary in Tolegre.
- Spend a night in Guwahati before the trip ends.
- Pick up from Guwahati Airport
- Drive to Shillong (3 hours)
- On the way visit Umiam lake
- Night stay in Shillong
- Drive to Cherrapunji and then Tyrna (4.5 hours)
- Trek to Double decker root bridge (1.5 hours)
- Trek to Rainbow falls (1 hour)
- Night stay in Nongriat
- Trek back to Tyrna (3 hours)
- Drive to Cherrapunji
- Sightseeing- Nohkalikai falls, Mawsmai cave, Wei sawdong falls
- Drive to Mawphanlur (3 hours)
- Night stay in Mawphanlur
- Drive to Emangre (7 hours)
- Night stay in homestay
- Trek to Wari Chora (45 mins)
- Do boating
- Return to Emangre
- Night stay in Emangre
- After Breakfast Drive to Tolegre
- Visit Jadisil Fish Sanctuary
- Return back to Guwahati
- Night stay in Guwahati
- Drop to Airport
Distance: 97 km
Time Taken: 03 hours
We will receive you at the Guwahati airport. The timings will be confirmed in a separate email. From the airport, the Meghalaya Offbeat Tour will start. We will travel to Shillong and visit Umiam Lake en route. We will have our night stay in Shillong. After check-in and dinner, you can spend your time at leisure.
Time taken from Shillong to Cherrapunji: 1.5 hours
Time taken from Cherrapunji to Tyrna: 4.5 hours
Time taken for Double Decker Bridge Trek: 1.5 hours
Time taken for Rainbow Falls Trek: 01 hour
After getting super-punched with breakfast, we will travel to Cherrapunji, also known as Sohra. It is a high-altitude town in Meghalaya, beautifully dotted with living-root bridges and rubber trees. We will then drive to Tyrna. From here, we will trek to the famous Double Decker root bridge. Double-decker Root Bridge is the pride of Meghalaya.
Description of the trail to reach Double Decker Root Bridge:
The living root bridge at Nongriat has two levels, apparently because the river rose so high one season that it covered the original bridge, and so the Khasis had to build another one. The initial descent is steep, dropping 2,400 feet to the valley. But once we cross this section, the trail flattens out from Nongthymmai. You will cross two rickety wire bridges across creeks where the water collects in pools. You will find the first single root bridge five minutes before reaching the ultimate Double Decker Living Root Bridge.
In addition, a small waterfall and natural pool with small fish will give you a foot massage. We will trek to the Rainbow Falls from here, which will take another 1 hour.
Evening nest is reserved in Nongriat; We will enjoy the evening, have our dinner and enjoy our stay at Nongriat.
Today, we will complete the trek. We will trek back to Tyrna, which will take approximately 03 hours. From Tyrna, we will get on the road to Cherrapunji.
After reaching Cherrapunji, there is a score of sightseeing locations waiting for us to discover.
We will start with Nohkalikai falls. It is the tallest plunge waterfall in India. With a drop of 335 m, it is also the fourth-highest waterfall globally. There is a story associated with these falls, but we will hold onto revealing it until you get with us on this life-changing Meghalaya Offbeat Tour.
After this, we will head to the mysterious Mawsmai Caves formed out of limestone. Notably, these are the only caves in Meghalaya that are well-lit so that tourists can enjoy their natural beauty.
Next up on the list is Wei Sawdong falls, which holds iridescent turquoise blue water, a beautiful sight for travellers. All the moments you spend here will feel like breathing beauty.
We will drive to Mawphanlur, a tiny hamlet in the Khasi Hills of Meghalaya. The village is famous as the land of seven lakes. Verdant mountains, quaint cottages, smiling locals, stretched grasslands, and cotton-candy clouds make up for the beauty of this place. You are lucky to have your night stay here.
Dinner with overnight stay will be followed.
Time taken from Mawphanlur to Emangre: 07 hours
After breakfast, we will start from Mawphanlur to Emangre. It is a 07 hours drive. In the evening, we will spend some hours exploring the small village and then retire to the homestay.
Wake up to see the pretty South Garo Hills of Emangre. Simultaneously, have breakfast. We will now be trekking to Wari Chora. ‘Wari’ of Wari Chora means a deep river or a depression in the river. It’s a small canyon, a small hilly river with high hills on both sides. It is located in the South Garo Hills of Meghalaya.
Garo people – renowned for their distinctive culture and traditions – live here. Their way of life is centred around nature, and they have a long history and strong ties to the land. For them, Wari Chora is considered sacred.
You will go through local farmland and an areca plantation, and then, after crossing a small stream, you will enter dense forests. Mind that you might have to crouch and crawl through narrow cracks between boulders. Finally, upon reaching the river, we will enter the paradisaical and scary beauty on a boat. It will rave up our heartbeats initially, but as we relax, the journey will give us fabulous views of mother earth.
After trekking and boating, we will return to Emangre and spend the evening leisurely after dinner.
After breakfast, we will go to Tolegre. Today is the day to visit Jadisil Fish sanctuary. Surrender to the calm, clear waters in South Garo Hills. You will see multiple fish in the sanctuary. The place is like an open-air pond where water keeps refilling.
After we are done here, we will return to Guwahati, where we will also have a night's stay.
The trip comes to an end. In the morning, we will drop you at the airport.
We are going to miss you badly. We know it will be equally difficult for you to let go of funny times, sleepless nights and new friendships. But guess, once someone chooses us, we are their home forever. Most of us cross paths multiple times. Don't forget to remember the thrill you have had. And once you know you want to do it all over again, we are here. Check out our other itineraries and ring us soon. It would be a pleasure to see you. Till then, take care and love life.
Plan The Unplanned
- Verified Host
- Logout's Trusted
- Traveler's Choice
What’s life without adventure? Isn’t the real purpose of life to travel, to experience new places, and witness the sunrise from new mountaintops? This thought is what united Jatin and Tarun over a cup of chai, in spite of being from two unrelated backgrounds (CA and IT). They knew each other since the time Jatin was helping Tarun learn the ways of the wilderness through weekend treks and outings with another traveling group. Their love for traveling and trekking together motivated them to start something of their own. Thus was born “Plan The Unplanned”, where travel goals come true. Under the Companies Act, Plan The Unplanned is incorporated as Unplanned Journeys Private Limited They started their journey on unsteady ground, much like any other company, but they shared an infatuation for travel and adventure with their customers, which amplified their determination, and thus, Plan the Unplanned family keeps getting bigger every day! Just about any travel idea can come alive with Plan The Unplanned…treks, adventure activities like rock climbing, kayaking, rafting, backpacking trips across the country, cultural outings, photo walks; everything that fellow travelers need, to explore the great outdoors together. Well now that the wanderlust has kicked in and you can already see a vacation in your nearest future, here’s what we have to offer!
- To and fro Travel in a private vehicle from Guwahati
- 6 Nights accommodation in Homestay
- Day 1 Dinner to Day 6 Breakfast and Dinner
- Boating fees at Weri Chora
- Sightseeing as per itienaray
- Driver allowance, tolls & parking
- Guide Fees
- All day's lunch
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Any monument fees
- Any charges for camera
- Any kind of insurance ( health, accidental )
THINGS TO CARRY
- Small Daypack to carry your essentials for hiking
- 1 litre of water
- Warm Layer - Down jacket
- Hiking Shoes & Floaters
- Dry bags to carry your wet clothes
- Quciky Dry clothes ( Shirts & Track pants )
- Toileteries ( toothpaste, brush, tissues, Quick dry towel )
- Energy Bars/snacks
Policy and Terms
|Upto 30 Days
|Credit Note with lifetime validity
- In case of government orders, harsh weather conditions, protests, landslides, or any other unforeseen circumstances, we work out the best possible alternate plans or trips/treks. At times even if certain activities are canceled, the organization provides the best alternative but no refunds are provided.
- If a trek is called off at the last moment due to a natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rain, snowfall, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh etc.), JustWravel will issue a trek voucher for the full amount and if possible will provide an alternate trek. The voucher can be redeemed up to the same amount for the same trek or another trek in the next 365 days from the trek departure date.
- If a trek or trip cannot be completed due to natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rain, snowfall, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh, etc.). No refund would be provided.
- Any extra expense coming due to any natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rain, snowfall, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh, etc.), Will be borne by the customer. The company will not be liable.
- Cancellations policy will differ during the peak season and in popular places.