New Year Spiti 2023
- Verified Host
- Logout's Trusted
- Traveler's Choice
All About It
- 8 Days 7 Nights
- For 12+ years
Translated as "The Middle land", Spiti is “A World Inside a World,” as described by Rudyard Kipling. Sandwiched between Tibet and India, the entire valley is stretched to eternity. You can’t guess where the land ends, and the sky begins. With snow under your boots and mountains overlooking every direction, we promise endless opportunities to mould life's outlook. Consider this trip a sumptuous three-course hot meal if spread on a platter: giant mountains, pacific villages, and monasteries. Spiti Valley 2023 New Year Road Trip is for those who love winter sun, tea-soaked biscuits, and pacifying rides.
Home to the world's prettiest and oldest locations – including Key, Kalpa, Dhankar and Tabo monasteries, Pin Valley, and Khab – Spiti is a cold mountain desert, also known as "Little Tibet". It is bordered on the northern side by Ladakh, Tibet in the East, Kinnaur in the South-East and Kullu valley in the North. You will testify to extremities while traversing the bridge, India's last inhabited village and highest post office.
The road will take the following route: Narkanda -> Kalpa -> Nako -> Tabo -> Kaza -> Sangla -> Narkanda. The North Eastern part of Himachal is much cooler than others. We are celebrating New Year 2023 when nature is at its best calmness. Spiti is not only mesmerising but a different “trip” altogether. We call out all nature, adventure, travel, and photography enthusiasts to experience the unexplored and hidden Spiti culture. Join us for this incredible road trip with super fun hosts now.
Here is the brief itinerary of the Spiti Valley 2023 New Year Road Trip.
- Indulge in photography at Eco Park Tanujubber.
- Reserve some of your evenings for BBQ, bonfire and dance sessions.
- Take a spectacular journey through the Sutlej river and the famous Taranda Cliff.
- Visit Roghi cliff.
- Get the marvellous sight of the Kinnaur Kailash Range.
- Stop by two monasteries from Nako to Kaza: Tabo and Dhankar.
- Sit by Nako lake, at an altitude of 3662 m, surrounded by Poplar and Willow trees.
- Witness the confluence of the Sutlej and Spiti rivers, known as Khab.
- Go to attain peace in Key Monastery and get surrounded by the breathtaking views from the Chincham bridge - one of India’s highest bridges.
- Also, go to "the highest village in the world: Komic village".
- Come to stay in "the land of the fossils: Langza".
- Take a grand entry into Kamru fort to get views of the beautiful Sangla valley, streams, apple gardens and much more.
- We have arranged a 2023 New Year Party at Narkanda with LIVE music, a bonfire, BBQ, and unlimited fun.
Distance: 60 km
Time: 2.5 hours
Altitude of Narkanda: 2708 m
The group assembles at the pickup point in Shimla. The time and pick-up point will be communicated in a separate mail. From Shimla, we start for Narkanda.
After meeting and settling in the vehicle, trek leaders will brief you about the trip. However you arrive, we will disband your strangeness. Once the group is ready to roll, we will let you explore things independently.
Located about 75 kilometres from Shimla, the undiscovered settlement of Narkanda will be found in the Shimla Hills. Getting used to the altitude in this snow-covered valley and its surrounding homes and farms is a great way to prepare for a journey to Spiti.
Meet your co-travellers at the glamping site at Narkanda. You can indulge in photography in Eco Park Tanujubber and the local village. It’s an initiative of the Forest Department of Himachal Pradesh.
The evening will be reserved for a bonfire BBQ and delectable cuisine tasting.
Distance: 150 km
Time: 09 hours drive
Altitude of Kalpa: 2,960 m
Post breakfast, we will be on the road to Kalpa in Kinnaur. Kinnaur is the Tribal District of Himachal with all modern facilities. Kalpa is a small village in the Sutlej river valley inhabited by the Kinnauri people. Legend has it that Kinnaur got all its beauty fell from heaven as a gift from the Gods. In the lower areas of Kinnaur, the slopes are covered with thick forests and Fruit orchards.
When British Governor General Lord Dalhousie visited Kalpa, it built its reputation in 1848. The Buddhist and Hindu worshipping complexes here were fused architecturally and in belief. The entire Kinnaur Kailash mountain range is seen in the town's background.
The spectacular journey goes by the Sutlej river and the famous Taranda Cliff. On arrival at Kalpa, check in to your warm rooms facing the mystic view of Snow Laden Kinner Kailash Range.
Distance Kalpa to Nako: 100 km
Distance Nako to Tabo: 63 km
Altitude of Tabo: 3,280 m
After breakfast, we will start at Kalpa. En route, we will take pit stops at Roghi Cliff, a Buddhist temple and a Hindu temple complex.
Midway, we will stop at Khab, the confluence of two rivers: the Sutlej and Spiti. You can click some pictures on Khab bridge or surrender to the beauty for a while and sit peacefully.
Then we will visit a village for a walk. In Nako, we will visit the serene Nako lake. It is a high-altitude lake that forms the boundary of the Nako village. The lake is at 3,662 m and is surrounded by Poplar and Willow trees.
We will have our lunch at Nako. After lunch, we will continue our journey and enter much awaited Spiti Valley. We will check into the best homestay at Tabo.
Dinner and an overnight stay at Tabo will be arranged. As soon as we are here, we will continue the party.
Distance: 48 km
Time: 1.5 hours
Altitude of Kaza: 3,800 m
Post breakfast, we will be on the road to Tabo Monastery. It was founded in 996 AD. The Tabo Gompa is the oldest and largest monastery in the Spiti Valley.
After Tabo Monastery, we will drive up to Dhankar village to see Dhankar Monastery and the confluence of the Spiti and Pin rivers.
We will reach Kaza by afternoon and check in to our accommodation. The rest of the day is at leisure. You can indulge in playing cards or trying local drinks and take a slow walk in Kaza town in the evening.
At night, dinner will be served. After amazing conversations, we will call off the day and sleep.
Day 5 is about exploration, gaining spiritual meanings, filling our souls and packing the best views.
Beyond Kaza, the landscape is studded with some small settlements at a God-forbidden altitude. This area has been declared a fossil spotting site, taking one back to the history of medieval times. These clusters are spread along the contours, with dwarfed mud structures made from the context itself.
Starting our day with a power-packed breakfast, depart from Kaza into real Spiti. Head to Langza, Hikkim and Kaumik. Post postcards from World’s Highest Post Office at Hikkim. Imagine how much love, warmth and spirituality you can pour into a letter and send to your loved ones.
We will go to "the land of fossils": Langza. We will then go to one of the highest villages in the world, marooned at the height of 4600 m and connected by motorable roads; Komic village.
Next up on the circuit is Key Monastery. It is locally known as Kye Gompa and is at 4,166 m. It was founded back in the 11th century. Alongside Spiti River, the monastery has an entire complex for lamas to live, study and practice.
Then we will go to the Chincham bridge, whose construction is a wonder. It is generally touted as India's highest road span crossing approximately 150 m above a tributary of river Spiti. It was completed in 2017.
Finally, we will head back to Kaza, where a delicious dinner will await you.
Distance: 235 km
Time: 10 hours
Altitude of Sangla: 2,712 m
Head start the day with an energetic breakfast. After eating, we will start back to Sangla. It is a long road. Cherish all ideas, dance to the rhythms, talk about anything, take pit stops, absorb and continue. We will drive back through Spiti Valley and enter Baspa Valley. We will reach Sangla by evening.
After settling, we will head out for Kamru fort. The fort is set at a picturesque location and offers views of the beautiful Sangla valley, streams, apple gardens and many more. The entry to the fort is through a series of gates, and at the main entrance, a magnificent image of Lord Buddha calms all your anxiety.
Later, dinner will be served after a musical evening, bonfire and overnight stay.
Distance: 154 km
Time: 8 hours
Altitude of Narkanda: 2,708 m
Pressing the resume button on our return journey, we will start from Sangla to reach Narkanda. After breakfast, we will pack and get on the route. Make the last day of 2022 even more exciting. Grab some local souvenirs from the local market and take a relaxing drive back to Narkanda.
We have arranged a 2023 New Year Party at Narkanda with LIVE music, bonfire, BBQ, and Pahadi Meals.
With heavy hearts and sweet waves of laughter, it is time to bid goodbye with bundles of memories. With that, the Spiti Valley New Year 2023 Roadtrip ends.
Plan your departure (self-sponsored) after 10 am back to your respective cities.
We will ensure that your journey with PTU will never stop. You are our companion, and taking you on such trips is always a pleasure. Meanwhile, check out our other itineraries. We will wait for your call. Till then, keep living each second of your life and keep inspiring.
Plan The Unplanned
- Verified Host
- Logout's Trusted
- Traveler's Choice
What’s life without adventure? Isn’t the real purpose of life to travel, to experience new places, and witness the sunrise from new mountaintops? This thought is what united Jatin and Tarun over a cup of chai, in spite of being from two unrelated backgrounds (CA and IT). They knew each other since the time Jatin was helping Tarun learn the ways of the wilderness through weekend treks and outings with another traveling group. Their love for traveling and trekking together motivated them to start something of their own. Thus was born “Plan The Unplanned”, where travel goals come true. Under the Companies Act, Plan The Unplanned is incorporated as Unplanned Journeys Private Limited They started their journey on unsteady ground, much like any other company, but they shared an infatuation for travel and adventure with their customers, which amplified their determination, and thus, Plan the Unplanned family keeps getting bigger every day! Just about any travel idea can come alive with Plan The Unplanned…treks, adventure activities like rock climbing, kayaking, rafting, backpacking trips across the country, cultural outings, photo walks; everything that fellow travelers need, to explore the great outdoors together. Well now that the wanderlust has kicked in and you can already see a vacation in your nearest future, here’s what we have to offer!
- Stay in homestay/hotel/camps on multiple sharing basis
- Transport from Shimla to Kaza and back to Narkanda
- All meals ( Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner )
- Driver allowances, tolls, parking
- Tour leader for the trip
- Any Air/ Train /bus fare which has not been mentioned.
- Any personal shopping of any type.
- Any other meals/snacks during the journey etc. which have not been mentioned above.
- Any alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks.
- Anything which has not been included above.
THINGS TO CARRY
- Sleeping bag (-15-20 Degrees) ( Optional only recommended for personal hygiene )
- Head torch
- Thermos flask
- Trekking shoes (waterproof, high ankle preferably)
- Fleece jackets
- woolen sweater
- Down feather/Hollofil jacket
- Wind & waterproof (jacket & pant) 1 Pair
- Thermal inners (upper and lower) 2 Pair
- Muffler/scarf/bandanna (to protect neck, ears and head)
- Trek pants (avoid shorts, denims, capris)
- Woollen socks (3 pairs)
- Sun cap (one that covers the neck as well)
- Woolen cap
- Fleece/woolen gloves
- Identity proof
- Sunscreen cream
- Hand sanitizer
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Lip balm
- Quick-dry towel
- Extra camera batteries, Powerbank
Policy and Terms
- No cancellations will be taken over calls or WhatsApp msg. Please reply to the email with the payment receipt that you have received at the time of booking.
- Free Cancellation up to 45 days before the departure date
- 44 Days to 30 days of Departure date. 10% of the total Trip cost along with the booking amount will be charged as a cancellation fee.
- 29 Days to 20 Days of Departure date. 25% of the total trip cost along with the booking amount will be charged as a cancellation fee.
- 19 Days to 10 Days of Departure date. 50% of the total trip cost along with the booking amount will be charged as a cancellation fee.
- 10 Days to 6 Days of Departure date. 75% of the total trip cost will be charged as a cancellation fee.
- 6 Days to Trip Departure date. 100% of the total trip cost will be charged as a cancellation fee.
- No Show. No refund.
- In case of government orders, harsh weather conditions, protests, landslides, or any other unforeseen circumstances, we work out the best possible alternate plans or trips/treks. At times even if certain activities are canceled, the organization provides the best alternative but no refunds are provided.
- If a trek is called off at the last moment due to a natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rain, snowfall, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh etc.), JustWravel will issue a trek voucher for the full amount and if possible will provide an alternate trek. The voucher can be redeemed up to the same amount for the same trek or another trek in the next 365 days from the trek departure date.
- If a trek or trip cannot be completed due to natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rain, snowfall, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh, etc.). No refund would be provided.
- Any extra expense coming due to any natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rain, snowfall, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh, etc.), Will be borne by the customer. The company will not be liable.
- Cancellations policy will differ during the peak season and in popular places.