Rediscovering Kedarnath - Tungnath - Chandrashila
Kedarnath - Tungnath
- Verified Host
- Logout's Trusted
- Traveler's Choice
All About It
- 5 Days 4 Nights
- 50 Slots
- Difficulty - Easy Moderate
- Best Season - Summer (May, June, July) Monsoon (Aug, Sept, Oct)
“Fire (the sky) is his head, his eyes the sun and the moon, the quarters his ears, his speech the Vedas disclosed, the wind his breath, his heart the uni- verse; from his feet came the earth; he is indeed the inner Self of all things “- Upanishads. The being described here is Lord Shiva, also known as Kedar who forms the essence of this Itinerary apart from the visually appealing trails of course. Located in the most spectacular location of the Char Dham temples, Kedar- nath, devoted to lord Shiva is one of the holiest pilgrimages for the devout Hindu.
It is set amidst the astonishing mountainscape of the Garhwal Hima- layas at the head of the Mandakini River. The holy place is very scenically placed, and is surrounded by haughty, snow – covered mountains, and during summer verdant meadows cover the valleys. Right behind the temple, is the lofty Kedar Dome peak, which is even visible from far off distances.
Up until 2013 there was an old route which passed through Rambada. Due to the unfortunate massive flash floods, this route got destroyed and is now not accessible for the trek. Alternatively, a new route is now shaped to reach Kedarnath temple.
Kedarnath is a holy Hindu town located in Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand in India. It is one of the Char Dhams located in the Himalayas. Kedarnath is situated at an astonishing height of 3584 meters above sea level near the head of Mandakini River.
The Kedarnath temple lies amidst the majestic snow-capped Garhwal Himalayan ranges and is thronged by thousands of tourists each year.
Also, nestled in the laps of the mighty Himalayas in the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand lies ‘Chandrashila’ – the summit of Chandranath Parvat. At an elevation of approximately 13,000 feet above sea level, the Chandrashila Summit is undisputedly one of the most sought after treks in Uttarakhand. With easy accessibility, it draws trekkers, photographers (Insta-worthy shots guaranteed!), tourists, wanderers, history enthusiasts, bird watchers or simply someone who is just searching for peace, tranquility and rejuve- nation. The Tungnath temple of Panch Kedar, in particular, offers a mes- merizing panoramic view of the majestic Himalayan peaks like Nanda Devi, Trisul, Kedar Peak, Bandarpunch and Chaukhamba.
This trek takes one through bewitching meadows and rich rhododendron trails. The scent of deodar trees envelops you – a veritable Bird Lov- ers/Watchers paradise. For those with a keen eye, you will definitely have a chance to spot some rare species of birds. So keep your binoculars ready!
Traveller /MUV/Sedan or Similar
Stay Not Applicable
Meals Not Included
The journey to Devbhoomi starts from Delhi. Time is of essence in a trek- king experience. Reporting venue is Mayur vihar ext. Metro Station, gate no. 2 and start your night journey towards Guptkashi/Sonprayag.
Traveller /MUV/Sedan or Similar
At morning we will reach Rishikesh. Here we will take some rest and spend some quality time. Enroute, you will witness some enchanting view of River Ganga, the confluence of river Bhagirathi and Alaknanda in Devprayag. After the visit, take a halt at Srinagar, where you will have lunch at the Dhabas or local restaurants and check your inventory for the trip, If you require anything for your journey, this is the last stop. Resume your drive and witness the mesmerizing view of Rudraprayag, after reaching Guptkashi. Check-in at the hotel and have an overnight stay.
Aarti in Rishikesh
Up, Uppity Up! As we gear up for the most enthralling day of the itinerary. We start early morning and make our way towards Gaurikund. The commencement point of the 16km trek to Kedarnath and named after god dess Parvati, wife of Lord Shiva is Gauri Kund. It is also known for its hot water spring, it is believed that taking a dip in the holy water of the pond will wash away the sins. You can spend some time here before proceeding to Kedarnath Temple. We traverse through beautiful forest trail up until Rambara. Post Rambara we cross a bridge over the quaintly flowing Mandakini River and trek towards the base camp. The valley is surrounded by astounding glaciers and waterfalls. Our estimated arrival time is around 5-6 pm. The traveler’s can either opt to go for the evening Aarti or retire for the evening.
Trek to Kedarnath
Traveller /MUV/Sedan or Similar
Wake up to the sunrays cascading over the Kedarnath Peak. Post offering morning prayers we head back to Guptkashi before heading for our next leg of journey which is to Chopta. Long journeys can be exhausting for some, hence this fairly early arrival gives you time to relax and rejuvenate and for those not too tired from the journey it is a picturesque campsite, an eye candy for the shutterbugs. Upon arrival check-in at the Camps, relax while relishing the hot served dinner.
Trek & Private vehicle
Up, Uppity Up! As we gear up for the most enthralling day of our stay in Chopta. We attempt to see the beautiful mountain range from the summit of Chandrashila which is one of the most captivating and unparalleled of any mountain ranges that you might have witnessed. (If the weather gods permit). This reminds us there are various legends associated with this place.
According to popular folklore, this is the place where lord Rama meditated after defeating the demon-king Ravana. Another legend says that moon-god Chandra spent time here in penance.
The trek from Chopta to Tungnath is approximately 3 km in distance and a further 1.5 km steep ascend leads to the summit of Chandrashila.
The trail till Tungnath from Chopta is a well paved cemented trail and further from Tungnath to Chandrashila, the trail becomes a little rickety.
For those who are ardent lovers of history - The Tungnath Temple is one of the Panch Kedar temples and is considered the highest temple of Lord Shiva in the world.
The trek is pleasant but can be moderately steep at certain points. It ascends sharply towards the end. You can also notice a change in the landscape due to an increase in the altitude. The tree line ends before Tungnath temple and after that, you may find only shrubs. It normally takes around 3 hours to reach the Tunganth temple from Chopta and another 1 hour to reach the Chandrashila summit from the temple.
Once at the top of the peak, you get a panoramic view of the mountains of Garhwal and Kumaon. The Chandrashila Peak is at an altitude of 4000 meters above sea level. It offers perfect panoramic views of remarkable peaks of Uttarakhand such as Kedarnath, Mandani, Chaukhamba, Nanda Devi, Nanda Ghunti, Hathi, Ghodi, etc.
After capturing some beautiful shots at the summit, the trek back to Chopta is via the same route taken while ascending. It takes approx. 30 to 45 minutes to reach Tungnath and another approx. 60 -90 minutes to reach Chopta from Tungnath.
Trek to Tungnath
Traveller /MUV/Sedan or Similar
Stay Not Applicable
The day embarks with the stunning view of Kedarnath Peak and Kedarnath dome from the campsite. One can spend some time watching early morning sunrise. Post breakfast we will then move towards Rishikesh River Rafting point, enjoy River Rafting if you want to opt for it (not included in the package). After rafting, you can explore Laxman Jhula/Local Market. Would strongly recommend attending the captivating evening Ganga Aarti on the banks of the river Ganga. After experiencing the Aarti, it is now time to head back to Delhi. We start your return journey to Delhi with your heart and soul full. You would reach Delhi early morning the following day.
- Verified Host
- Logout's Trusted
- Traveler's Choice
We are excited to introduce our organisation TravelMite Outdoors (TravelMite), which is specialised in organising experience based Treks and Accommodation to Uttarakhand in India. We have been in the Industry for the past 4 years and our operations have been thoroughly vetted, audited and endorsed on the parameters of sustainability and excellence in operations, services and customer care. You can thus be assured that we have pledged to uphold and maintain the highest standards on the above criteria. We have had the opportunity to make over 7000+ guests experience what true adventure is. We offer multiple touch points to add value to our customer’s experience.Our dedication to creating outstanding travel experiences has allowed us to build quite a fan base. The organisation and the team truly believe in providing individuals with a memorable adventure, which can be backed by our social media reviews/testimonials – Facebook, Google Review
- Accommodation: Basic accommodation at Sonprayag/Guptkashi and temple premises for 2 nights on sharing basis (Please contact customer support for upgrading from Budgeted to a higher category stay, extra charges applicable), 2 Nights in Swiss Tents at Chopta on sharing basis.
- Meals: 4 Dinners, 4 Breakfasts
- First Aid Medical Kit
- Transportation during the journey ex Delhi
- Trekking Permits/Forest Fees
- Qualified & experienced Trek Guide and support staff
- Any additional expenses such as personal nature/Medical Exigency/insurance
- Additional accommodation/food costs incurred due to any delayed travel
- Any lunch and other meals not mentioned in Package Inclusions
- Any Airfare/Rail fare other than what is mentioned in “Inclusions” or any type of transportation from which is outside the itinerary
- Parking and monument entry fees during sightseeing
- Additional Costs due to Flight Cancellations, Landslides, Roadblocks, and other natural calamities or Delays
- Any other services not specified above in inclusions
- Weather being unpredictable in the upper regions of the Himalayas, keep an account for this by adding a buffer day in your travel plan
- Pony/Mules excluded
THINGS TO CARRY
1.Trekking Shoes- Shoes that are sturdy, have good grip, have ankle support, and can handle snow.
2. Rucksack & Day Bag pack - Make sure your backpack has good hip support, shoulder support, and quick access pockets.
A day bag pack will help you carry your tiffin box , water bottle and mobile while trekking.
Trolley Bags are Not Allowed
3. Clothes –
• Wearing layers is the mantra in the mountains. Layers give you maximum protection from all elements. You will need at least 5 warm layers (Insulin layers). You will need at least 1 pair of inner thermals, 2 light fleece layers, 1 light sweater, and 1 padded jacket. Ensure your padded jacket has a hood as well.
• A minimum of one pair and a maximum of two pairs of trek pants should suffice for this trek. Wear one pair and carry one just in case it rains/snows. Trek pants with zippered cut offs at the thighs are very suitable for treks. Also, choose quick-dry pants over cotton.
• Wearing layers is the mantra in the mountains in winters. Layers give you maximum protection from all elements. You will need at least 5 warm layers (Insulin layers). You will need at least 1 pair of inner thermals, 2 light fleece layers, 1 light sweater, and 1 padded jacket. Ensure your padded jacket has a hood as well. A minimum of one pair and a maximum of two pairs of trek pants should suffice for this trek. Wear one pair and carry one just in case it rains/snows. Trek pants with zippered cut offs at the thighs are very suitable for treks. Also, choose quick-dry pants over cotton.
1.Sunglasses- Sunglasses are to prevent snow blindness. A small overexposure to direct sunlight on snow can lead to snow blindness (about a half hour’s exposure). That’s because fallen snow is like thousands of mirrors that reflect direct UV rays. So you need sunglasses with UV protection.
Buying Tip: Try getting sunglasses that wrap around instead of those that have openings on the side. Even peripheral UV ray exposure is not a good idea.
2. Sun Cap
3. Synthetic Hand Gloves Get synthetic hand gloves that have waterproofing on the outside and a padded lining on the inside. If you find the combination difficult to get (not likely), wear a tight-fitting fleece hand glove inside a synthetic hand glove. Hand gloves are mandatory on this trek.
4. Woollen Cap - a woolen head cap that covers your head and ears is absolutely essential.
5.Socks - Apart from three to four pairs of sports socks, take a pair of woolen socks. Sports socks give you cushioning plus warmth. Again the mantra is to wear synthetic socks or at least a synthetic blend. Cotton socks soak in water and sweat. They are very hard to dry. As for woolen socks, they help you to keep warm and snug in the night. If you cannot get woolen socks, wearing two sports socks serves the purpose as well.
6.Power Bank ( Strongly recommended as the campsite runs on Solar energy hence is weather dependent)
7. Water bottle
Make sure you bring 2 water bottle & a thermal water bottle for hot water.
8. Medication (As per medical conditions if any and is subscribed by a doctor).
9. We are located in the middle of a wildlife Sanctuary so there are bound to be insects please try carrying an insect repellent if possible.
10.Extra cover for your electronic gear items/Valuables.
11. Quick Dry Towel/Towel
13. A tiffin box with a spoon for packed lunch is Mandatory we try reduced usage of plastic/paper as much as possible .
15. Do not leave plastic wrappers(chips,chocolates etc) behind while on Trek and yes! don't forget your "Mask" ofcourse!
Mayur Vihar Extension, Metro Station Gate no. 2
HOW TO REACH
The journey starts from Delhi. Time is of the essence in a trekking experience. Hence, we advise our travellers to assemble at Mayur Vihar extension Metro Station (gate no.2).
Policy and Terms
- We understand that plans change sometimes. If you need to cancel/reduce/amend a guaranteed reservation, please do so latest by 12 noon, 30 days prior to arrival, to avoid cancellation charges. 100% non-refundable should there be any cancellation within 30 days of arrival.
- For all bookings, if the guest doesn’t show up/leave the trek/trip mid-way the complete booking will be non-refundable.
- There would be no refund provided in case any issue arising due to government orders, harsh weather conditions, protests, landslides, or any other unforeseen circumstances. Any changes which require additional charges would need to be borne by the guests.
- If a trip is cancelled at the last moment due to a natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rain, snowfall, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh, medical, heavy Traffic etc.) then the guest would be provided with a travel voucher for the same amount that can be used within 365 days of the issuance date for any package worth the same amount. (Subject to availability). There will be no refund.
- If a stay has to be aborted midway due to a natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rain, snowfall, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh,Heavy , Medical, Traffic etc.). In that case, no refund would be provided.
- Travelmite will not bear any extra expense due to any natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rain, snowfall, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh, Arranging transportation etc.).
Terms and Conditions
1.Full Payment of the trip cost must be made before the trip begins. Pending Payments may eventually lead to thecancellation of the trip.
2.The IDs will be verified before boarding. No boarding shall beentertained without a valid Govt. ID.
3.The Transfer of the bookings is not permitted. Only the names mentioned at the time of confirmation shall be allowed to travel.
4.No refunds shall be made towards any inclusion(s) not availedby the Client.
5.Travelers must take care of their luggage & belongings. The management shall not be accountable for missing items along the tour.
6.The time of departure is stated & fixed. All travelers mustupdate their status with the Trip Coordinator(s), & report at the pickup point 30 mins prior to the scheduled departure.
7.The Air Conditioning will be switched off in the hills. Also, during the trip, it shall be the driver’s discretion to put off the AC as & when required, considering the travelers’ safety & ease of travel along uneven & dangerous routes.
8.Drinking & Smoking are strictly prohibited during journey due to the health & safety of fellow passengers.
9.No act of misconduct or indiscipline shall be tolerated on the tours. We are a cordial travel community and we aspire to bring to you a hassle-free and memorable experience.
10.TravelMite shall not be responsible for any delays or alterations in the program or indirectly incurred expenses in cases such as natural hazards, accidents, breakdown of machinery, weather conditions, landslides, political closure, or any untoward incidents.
12.We do not provide any insurance policy to cover the expenditure on sickness or accidents or losses incurred due to theft or other reasons.
13.Numerous factors such as weather and road conditions the physical ability of participants etc. may bring alteration in the itinerary.
14.We reserve the right to make necessary changes in the schedule in the interest of safety, comfort, and general well-being!
Q: What adventure activities one can try in Rishikesh?
A: Rishikesh is widely known for its thrilling white water rafting experiences. However, it offers other adventure activities as well. Kayaking, rappelling, cliff jumping, bungee jumping and flying fox are some of the other activities one can indulge in Rishikesh to pump up the adrenaline.
Q: Where can you indulge in rafting in Rishikesh?
A: Rishikesh is a perfect place to indulge in adventure activities and is notably famous for white water rafting. The season for white water rafting begins during the months February up until June. And then the season restarts in September until the mid-December.
Q: Are there any good restaurants or cafes in Rishikesh?
A: Of course, Rishikesh draws millions of visitors annually from throughout the world. Rishikesh is no longer just a pilgrimage destination; it is increasingly emerging as India's and the World's centre of adventure and yoga. As one of the most popular tourist destinations, Rishikesh offers visitors a variety of mouthwatering eateries and cafes to suit their culinary preferences.
Q: How can one indulge in Yoga at Rishikesh?
A: Yoga in Rishikesh is popular all over the world. Yoga is an ancient science which leads to a healthy body, peaceful mind and a joyful heart. Thousands of Yoga enthusiasts from India, Australia, Canada, America and other countries of the globe flock to Rishikesh to learn about this ancient technique of well-being. No wonder, Rishikesh has been declared the "Yoga capital of the world" and hosts International Yoga Festival Rishikesh every year in the month of March
Q: What is the difficulty level of the Chandrashila trek?
A: The Chandrashila trek is a easy to moderate hike.
Q: How long is the Chandrashila trek?
A: Chandrashila trek is 5 km long from Chopta.
Q: What is the altitude of the Chandrashila trek?
A: Chandrashila is situated at an height of 4000 mts above the sea level.
Q: Where is Chandrashila?
A: Chandrashila trek is situated in Rudraprayag district of Garhwal region of Uttarakhand state. 1.5 km beyond Tungnath Temple (highest temple of Lord Shiva)
Q: Does Chandrashila have snow?
A: Yes, Chandrashila receives heavy snowfall of upto 8-10ft during winter season.
Q: Which airport and railroad station are the closest to Chandrashila?
A: Rishikesh railway station is the nearest railway station and Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest airport for Chandrashila.
Q: Is it safe to travel to Chopta?
A: Chopta is a charming hill station that was totally developed by the native Garhwali people of Uttarakhand, who live in Chopta and the surrounding area, unlike other congested hill stations. The Chopta locals are really kind and even look out for the safety of all the tourists. Chopta is completely safe to visit. But take caution—the fauna in the Chopta region is not particularly hospitable, so visitors are cautioned not to wander the jungle after dark! Chopta region is part of Kedarnath Wildlife Sanctuary, hence there aren't any communities there; instead, there are just a few exclusive campgrounds and lodges.
Q: Can I rent a chopper to go to Kedarnath?
A: Absolutely, tourists can use a helicopter to travel to Kedarnath. Certain service providers, like Pawan Hans, give tourists travelling from places like Dehradun, Haridwar, and Agustyamuni with access to helicopter service.
Q: What time of year is ideal for a trip to Kedarnath?
A: The best time to visit Kedarnath is during the month of May as soon as temple reopens or during September -October when the crowd is less
Q: Why is kedarnath famous?
A: The Kedarnath pilgrimage gives the pleasure of a religious centre and the sizzles of a beautiful tourist destination. It is famous for the old temple devoted to Lord Shiva. A peaceful location that is strongly related to the powerful Pandavas retains a lovely legend of its own.
Q: Can you customize a trip?
A: YES, If you want us to design a customized itinerary for you and your family/friends, reach out to us at [email protected] or Call us at 8010000205.