Cold Desert Road Trip (Spiti Circuit)
Spiti Valley (Himachal Pradesh)
- Verified Host
- Logout's Trusted
- Traveler's Choice
All About It
- 7 Days 6 Nights
- 12 Slots
June to October are indeed the best months to visit Spiti Valley. This road trip is unlike any other. Check out all the key attractions on the entire stretch of Spiti Circuit in just a week! Leave behind the routine as we mount higher on the Hindustan-Tibet road, passing through the lush greens of Shimla to get closer to the snow-clad peaks of Kinnaur. From the pretty landscape of Nako to the heavenly beauty of the moon lake. Let the wanderer in you come alive amidst the naked raw beauty of Spiti, the ‘middle land’. We have given wings to your desires to unleash the true beauty of the Himalayas in such rustic landscapes. If you are challenging enough to embark on this adventure of a lifetime, book with us today!
-A road tripper’s paradise
-Unravel a completely new world and simpler way of life
-Uncover the mystery of a 500-year-old mummy
-Sit by crystal blue lakes and relax
-Send a postcard from the highest post office in the world
-Cross some of the highest passes in the world
Route: Shimla – Kufri – Chitkul – Kalpa – Nako – Giu – Tabo – Dhankar – Pin Valley – Kaza – Losar – Kunzum Pass – Chandratal – Chhatru – Atal Tunnel – Manal
Tour Type: Road Trip
Highest Altitude: 4,600
Total distance covered: 1000+ km (approx
Batch Size: 12-16
This epic Road Trip will start from ISBT Shimla. Today we head to Chitkul-the Swiss Alps of India! Adorned with high snowclad mountain peaks, Chitkul’s scenery is straight out of a dream. Popularly known as the last inhabited village near the Indo- Tibetan Border, the Indian roads end here at Chitkul. After feasting on some dinner, we spend the night tucked in a comfortable hotel, to rest for another exciting day ahead.
After exploring Chitkul we drive towards Kalpa, located at the base of the Kinnaur Kailash Range. It is blessed with spectacular views of the higher mountains, especially during sunrise and sunset with the light rays of the sun touching the Shivling Peak standing 6,000 meters tall! After exploring this naturally beautiful village and the famous suicide point, we retire for the night in our comfortable hotel rooms.
Today we depart for Tabo. En route to Tabo, we will visit the scenic Nako Lake. After this, we drive past Sumdo, entering Spiti Valley towards the village Giu. After visiting the temple where the mystery of 500 years old mummy is still preserved we head to the Tabo monastery-a favorite of The Dalai Lama, also one of the holiest and oldest monasteries. After a full day of moving around, we finally call it a night at a hotel in Tabo.
From Tabo, we then move on to explore Dhankar Monastery. We explore the village and visit the Dhankar Gompa situated asymmetrically atop a cliff. This hill-top fort that overlooks the Spiti Valley once used to serve as a jail in the olden days. Next, we move towards Mudh village in the Pin Valley, this enchanting highland valley might as well be the best highlight of your trip! Pin Valley is known for its Pin Valley National Park, home to the snow leopard and Siberian ibex. While Mudh is known for its sprouting pink blossoms known as Sia Mentok. From Mudh, we finally head to our final destination of the day, Kaza, the administrative capital and largest town of Spiti, and hit our comfortable beds after these meanderings.
This day we explore some of the highest inhabited regions of the world. Our first stop will be at Komic, which translates to ‘eye of a snow cock’. Komic is the highest motorable village in the world at a height of 4,587 meters! Next, we head to Hikkim, home of the highest post office in the world. Later we stop at Langza and visit the ancient Lang which is a 1000 years old temple and spot the marine fossils found here in the sedimentary rocks. After lunch, we will visit Key, known for its magnificent Key Monastery situated at the foot of steep ridges. Spending some time in the peace and quiet of this monastery can be a soulful experience, something to remember for a lifetime. Later you are free to explore the market at Kaza and buy souvenirs for your family and friends. We return to our homestay at Kaza for dinner and a night's stay.
From Kaza, we drive to Kibber. Kibber is also home to the majestic snow leopard and gives a breath-taking view of Kanamo Peak at 19,600 feet. From Kibber, we visit the famous Chicham Bridge, the highest bridge in Asia, and hear stories about the ancient method of using pulley trolleys. We now drive through Kunzum La at 15,000 feet, towards one of the most photogenic places in Spiti Valley- the breath-taking Chandratal Lake, also known as the lake of the moon. This magnificent lake has surprisingly no visible source of water, concluding that the water for this lake comes from underground. We spend the night in camps and spend our evening gazing at millions of stars on a clear night.
To celebrate our last day in Spiti Valley, we depart from Chandratal Lake and make our way to Batal. From there we continue our journey on Kaza – Manali Highway while taking a lunch halt at Chhatru. Driving beside the Chandra river we pass Gramphoo village and enter Atal Tunnel (Rohtang Tunnel) to reach Manali, thus entering the Kullu District. The tunnel is intended to create an all-weather route to Leh and Lahaul and Spiti valleys in Himachal Pradesh. The 9.02 km-long tunnel passes under the Rohtang Pass in the eastern Pir Panjal range on the Leh-Manali highway. We reach Manali, only to head back home with a heart full of happy memories.
Trek A Tribe
- Verified Host
- Logout's Trusted
- Traveler's Choice
We are a leading travel firm based in Himachal Pradesh and cater to providing you with a complete travel solution. We provide unmatched local expertise to organize trekking, adventure camping, road trips, couple tours, donation drives, music concerts, city hikes, and much more in the offbeat places of Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, and Ladakh.
Next Upcoming On
Sunday - June 18, 2023
Need Help? Directly Contact Host
- Accommodation in Hotel/Homestay/Camps (6 nights)
- Transportation from Shimla to Manali in Tempo Traveller or Innova.
- MAP meal plan (6 Breakfast and 6 Dinner)
- Experienced Local Driver and Tour Captain
- First-Aid Kit/Oxygen Cylinder
- Tax and Permits
- Anything not mentioned in the inclusion list.
- Meals during Transportation (Lunch)
- Expenses of personal nature.
- Expenses raised due to any road blockage or natural calamity. (The itinerary is subject to change and is flexible due to any circumstances which are not in our control)
THINGS TO CARRY
- Inner Thermals
- Down Jacket
- 2x Trek Pants/Jeans
- A fleece jacket or windcheater jacket or windproof jacket to prevent the winds (must-have)
- A good sturdy pair of shoes
- A 50-65 L backpack (Do not carry suitcases or trolley bags please)
- Woollen socks
- Heavy woolens 2-3 sets (Sweatshirts/Fleece/pullovers/warm hoodie)
- Carry a cap and Sunscreen Lotion to protect yourself from direct sunlight as it is too harsh in this region to protect yourself from UV rays
- Sunglasses to protect your eyes from the hard sun
- Hand gloves are a must-have from October to June
- Wollen Cap (must-have)
- Lip balm
- Carry your own water bottle and refill it
- Camera Bag if you use DSLR/GoPro
- Any personal medicine for allergies/Medical conditions
- Spare contact lenses or glasses
- Towel especially lightweight quick-dry type
- Reading materials, Games, Cards. (Optional)
- Bsnl/Jio Simcard
- Identification proof like Passport, Driving license, Aadhar card etc.
HOW TO REACH
Delhi to Shimla transfer in comfortable Volvo bus on the night before Day 1 for those travelers who want to opt from Delhi
1) Delhi Pick-up Point: ISBT Kashmiri Gate/ Majnu ka Till
Pick-up Time: 9-11 pm (average time
2) Shimla Pick-up Point: ISBT Shimla/Victory Tunnel/Lakkar Bazaar Bus Stan
Pickup Time: 7-8 am (average time)
Policy and Terms
- Cancellation of booking of tour 31 days or more before the date of Departure will result in a 20% deduction from the total cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 21-30 days before the date of Departure will result in a 40% deduction from the total cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 11-20 days before the date of Departure will result in a 60% deduction from the total cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 6-10 days before the date of Departure will result in an 80% deduction from the total cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 1-5 days before the date of Departure will result in a 100% deduction from the total cost of the tour.
Terms and Conditions
- You need to pay 50% of the total cost of the trip to confirm your booking.
- The remaining amount has to be paid on the arrival day of commencement of the trip.
- We strictly follow the refund policy.
- Do not litter anywhere during your travel time.
- Respect local culture and customs.
- We provide sanitized Transportation, follow Covid norms and provide a hygienic stay. Please ensure to bring sanitizers and masks along.
More From Trek A Tribe
[[ event.name ]]
From [[price.price | number:0]]/ per person
From [[event.price | number:0]]/ per person
[[ batch.startdate|date]] [[batch.soldout ? ' (Soldout)':'']]