Enchanting Tamil NaduPhotography Food Couple Friendly Leisure And Travel History and Culture
What's This About?
Join us on this enchanting trip to explore the southern state of Tamil Nadu. This is a comfortable week-long itinerary with luxury stays in Chettiar mansions and boutique hotels, exploring exquisite temples, experiencing the unique arts & crafts and of course gorging on the delicious Chettinad and Tamil cuisines.
We start our trip with the blessings from the Meenakshi temple at Madurai. Visit the holy site of Rameswaram and also explore the south-eastern tip of the country at Dhanushkodi. Explore the mysterious & unique stately mansions in Chettinad and stay in one. Learn about the lesser-known Maratha history of Thanjavur. Visit the live Chola temples at Thanjavur and Darasuram. Finally, we end the tour at Madurai with a unique food trail in the old city which is known for its culinary heritage.
5 Nights/ 6 Days
- Meenakshi Amman Temple & Madurai Sightseeing
- Live in a Chettiar Mansion. Explore the lesser-known Chettinad region of TN
- Rameswaram & Dhanushkodi
- Explore the Maratha history at Thanjavur
- Visit two living Chola temples at Thanjavur and Darasuram
- 2 Night stay in Madurai on Double Sharing (AC Executive Rooms)
- 2 Night stay in Kothamangalam (Chettinad) on Double Sharing (Heritage Rooms)
- 1 Night stay in Rameswaram on Double Sharing (AC Deluxe Rooms)
- 1 Night stay in Thanjavur on Double Sharing (AC Deluxe Rooms)
- All Meals (Lunch and Dinner on Day 1, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner on Days 2-6, Breakfast and Lunch on Day 6)
- All internal travel in private AC Coach
- Entrance fees at monuments
- Guiding Charges at Meenakshi Temple, Rameswaram Temple, Thanjavur temple and town, Chettinad Heritage Town, Airavatesvar Temple, etc.
- Light & Sound Show at Madurai Palace
- Travel from home destination.
- Anything not mentioned in the includes list
- Personal costs (Shopping, laundry etc.)
- Activity charge for activities not mentioned above
- Travel Insurance
Arrive in Madhurai
Thirumalai Nayak Palace Light & Sound Show
Monday, 24 January
- We arrive in Madurai between 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM. Proceed to lunch. Today we will explore the beautiful Thirumalai Nayak Palace in Madurai followed by the light and sound show at the palace.
-Dinner & overnight stay at Madurai
Madurai - Rsameswaram
Tuesday, 25 January
- Post breakfast, we will explore the Meenakshi Temple with a local guide.
- Lunch in Madurai and proceed to Rameswaram
- Dinner and Overnight stay at Rameswaram
Rameswaram - Chettinad
Wednesday, 26 January
- Post breakfast, we will explore the historic and revered temple at Rameswaram. We will also visit Dhanushkodi, an abandoned coastal town just 24 km away from Sri Lanka
- Lunch at Rameswaram
- Post lunch proceed to Kothamangalam, Chettinad.
- Overnight stay in Kothamangalam
Explore the Chettinad region
Thursday, 27 January
-Post breakfast, depart for a tour of Kanadukathan, a town which has received the status of Heritage Town, owing to the presence of many stately mansions built in a unique architecture style popular in Chettinad. Visit the Athangudi handmade tiles factory. We will also explore the local market at Karaikudi for antique shopping.
-Dinner & overnight stay at Chettinad
Thanjavur Palace Brihadishwar Temple
Friday, 28 January
- Post breakfast, depart for Thanjavur.
- At Thanjavur, explore the Brihadeeshwara Temple along with the Maratha Palace Complex and the Saraswati Mahal Library
-Check-in at hotel in Thanjavur
-Leisure time. In the evening we will explore the crafts & arts of Thajvaur.
-Dinner & overnight stay at Thanjavur
Darasuram & Madurai
Darasuram Kumbakonam Madurai
Saturday, 29 January
-Post breakfast, check-out and depart for Airavatesvar Temple (Darasuram).
-Explore the temple complex and a quick shopping break for the famous Darasuram silk sarees. We will also get a chance to shop for exclusive brass diyas and souvenirs at Kumbakonam.
-Lunch at Kumbakonam and proceed to Madurai
-Dinner & Overnight stay at Madurai
Madurai & Departures
Madurai Food Walk
Sunday, 30 January
- Go on a breakfast food walk in Madurai.
- Explore the city further
- Departures to home destinations after lunch
TRAVEL OPTIONS TO REACH MADURAI & BACK (From Pune & Mumbai)
About Your Hosts
The Western Routes
The Western Routes was founded in 2011. It started as a concept that found its roots in the love for the state of Maharashtra and its native culture. Since 2015, we have ventured into curating itineraries across the country which are themed around history, culture, wildlife or food. We are determined to provide an experience of India, free of cliches and bias; an experience encompassing the warmth, beauty and culture which our country has to offer.
I am a true-blue Punekar at heart. Travel has always been a passion. So after completing masters degrees in environmental science and responsible tourism management, I worked and traveled extensively in India and abroad, exploring unique destinations, their culture and most importantly their local food. Combining my two passions - food and travel, in 2012, I launched my own travel company, The Western Routes which focuses on creating culinary and cultural itineraries across India. Rustic and local flavors is what excites and inspires me while on my food & travel explorations. I firmly believes in the famous quote by James Michener, “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home."
Book an upcoming batch
[[selectedBatch.startdate|date]] to [[selectedBatch.enddate|date]][[selectedBatch.starttime|date:'shortTime']] to [[selectedBatch.endtime|date:'shortTime']]
[[price.attribute]] : [[price.price | number:0]] /- per person
[[price.attribute]] : [[price.price | number:0]] /- per person
[[selectedBatch.price | number:0]]/- per person
[[instance.price | number:0]]/- per person
Got Questions ?
WhatsApp The Western Routes
Been Here, Post A Review:
More From The Western Routes
[[ event.name ]] (Soldout)
[[price.price | number:0]]/- [[event.duration ? " | "+event.duration:""]]
[[event.price | number:0]]/- [[event.price_striked]][[event.duration ? " | "+event.duration:""]]
Free [[event.duration ? " | "+event.duration:""]]
[[ batch.startdate|date]] [[batch.soldout ? ' (Soldout)':'']] , Available Seats: [[ batch.batch_size-batch.numberofbookings-batch.numberofbookings_from_host ]] No Upcoming Batches Show All